Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Junior Web Developer

Company - Netstep Corporate Communications Ltd
Salary - £18000
Job Type - Permanent
Location - Yorkshire
Reference - NET14

Contact - Carla Marshall
Address - The Spire, Leeds Road, Lightcliffe, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 8NU
Telephone - 01422 200308
Fax - 01422 200306


Found at - CreativeMatch.co.uk

Why Do You Want the Job?
After just completing 2 years on a HND Interactive Media course, I am now ready to begin work in the web design industry. The above job contains aspects of all the skills which I have learnt over the past 2 years and will give my a chance to further improve on my skills.

What's Your Greatest Strength?
In my opinion my greatest strength would be my ability to learn new things quickly. Whilst studying for my HND, I spent a lot of time learning new technologies on my own initiative, some of which were not taught on the course (such as PHP and MySQL).

What's Your Greatest Weakness?
My greatest weakness however would have to be my tendency to want to jump straight in to creating a website before I design it properly. However, in the industry I know that time is money and I would not have much 'design' time and so being able to design 'on the fly' could also be seen as a strength.

What Do You See Yourself Doing In 5 Years Time?
In five years time I hope to of progressed in my career and be, or at least be working my way towards being, a lead designer of a company. I feel that after 2 years of intense study followed by a numerous years of industry experience will provide me with enough advanced skills and knowledge to allow me to do this.

What Current Interactive Media Innovation Excites You The Most?
The current Interactive Media innovation which excites me the most at present is CSS, there is so much that can be done with it and the benefits of it are almost endless. I have only being studying CSS for a year but have made great strides in my ability to implement it in a effective manner and hope that this can only continue to improve.

Who Is Your Hero?
My 'hero' would have to be a graffiti artist called Banksy. Most 'graffiti artists' are just kids with spray cans writing their names on walls, but Banksy moves away from this and creates pieces of art work. His designs are both abstract but appealing at the same time, and a lot of the time he uses his 'art' to great effect when trying to get messages across, be this political, environmental, etc.

4 comments:

Julian Dyer said...

It is good to see that you have taken your 'weakest' area and put a positive spin onto it. I think this is the thing to do, as it does not sound as negative.

I personally think the 5 year plan if a bit ambitions - ambitious is good, unrealistic is not, and this falls somewhere between the two.

Nice to see that you have picked an artistic hero, which shows that you also appreciate art - the most visual of creative arts.

Craig Burgess said...

I don't think 5 years time to be a lead designer at a company is remotely unrealistic, but it all depends on what area of the industry we are talking about.

If we're talking about London then 5 years might not be enough, but it all depends on just how much you've progressed in 5 years time.

It largely depends on yourself, and if you think that's possible Craig then I applaud you for your ambitiousness.

I can't see any employer knocking that.

Ben Waller said...

I took the same approach to the "weakest area" by trying to put a positive spin on it. I felt this was the most appropriate thing to do to try and avoid negativity in the interview.

I think that 5 years is quite reasonable to achive a lead designer position. Like Craig says though this could depend on the area of the industry. If you were working within a small team of 5-10 people this would be much more attainable compared to a large firm in London with many more employee's

Julian Dyer said...

Each company will have different interpretations of ‘lead designer’, just like the ‘Manager’ of a McDonalds is not the same as the ‘Manager’ of The Ritz. It could easily go one of two ways – it is either seen as being determined and ambitious, which is a good thing, or as being very naïve, which is not. Depends on the company, ‘Horses for courses’ as they say.