Saturday, October 06, 2007

'Don't Call Us....We'll Call You'

After last weeks 'Online Journal Entry' it is clear that if I were ever to apply for a real job I would be turned away almost immediately. Admittedly I did mistake the entry last week to be applying for a job via a letter not interview questions but it still doesn't account for the frankly abysmal answers I gave.

This may seem over critical but in my opinion is a honest response and would not like to hire myself after those answers.

Take my first question response for example. Although I have mentioned the job contains 'skills I have learnt on the course' I do not give examples as to what skills I have learnt and any other skills which I have learnt which may also aid me in the work.

Perhaps my worst answer however is the 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?' question. As Steve quite rightly mentioned in class, I have not shown loyalty to the business, although this was my intention. After hearing this question before I know it is important to show that you want to be with the company in the long run, even if this is not the truth, and by saying I wanted to be lead designer I was hoping to show both loyalty and ambition. However instead of saying 'I would like to be lead designer at your company', instead I said 'with a company', showing no loyalty at all.

If/when we do any more tasks like this, and definitely when I enter a real interview situation, I will think a lot harder about the answers I am giving and the way in which I am phrasing them.

2 comments:

DREW said...

Hi Craig, I just read you blog and I think I made a similar mistake to you with the answer to where I will be in 5 years.

I didn't really see this problem before in mine but I guess it wouldn't be attractive to an employer to say from the start you don't intend to stay employed with them.

However I do think it looks good to show that you have ambition.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I think you are being over critical on yourself when you say you would be tuned away immediately.

The task has shown us all that being interviewed is a fairly stressful situation, and it wasn't even for real!