Tuesday, October 30, 2007

3 Tracks From Inspirational CD

This week I have continued my 'self learning' journey, this time however regarding my musical tastes. Never before did I realise how much 'emo' style music I actually own, although not all of it typical shouting and yelling, it is 'emo' none the less. This has caused quite a deal of difficulty trying to make a 'diverse' CD to inspire me and the rest of the group in college. Saying this however I think the CD track listing I created is relatively diverse, and I kept the amount of heavy metal down to a minimum.


Below is a couple of the tracks I have chosen, and why. The process of choosing 3 songs from the CD was just as difficult as choosing the songs for the CD it's self. In the end I went for 3 at random...


The first track I chose was Showbiz - Muse. There was always going to be a Muse song on my CD, I'm sure it will come as no surprise to most people. In this case however I decided to opt for 2 Muse songs, the second being . I chose these two songs as a contrasting point.


Showbiz is a very old Muse track, from their very first album, Showbiz. It starts of very slow and gradually brings in more instruments, a faster pace, and a much more heavier sound.


Invincible on the other hand is from their newest album, Black Holes & Revelations. It is completely opposite to Showbiz as it starts of very slowly, and continues the pace throughout the song. It also relies a lot less on heavy guitar riffs for a much softer sound.


And the third song is Connections Are More Dangerous Than Lies - The Ataris. This song is a very descriptive song, and creates all sorts of different images in your mind just by listening to the track. As the idea of the CD's is to inspire us, I thought that this was quite a good thing to have on a track, though whether the images it creates are relevant I do not know.

*End Note* Thinking of a descriptive title is actual harder than thinking of a 'clever' title. Especially when I had the perfect one too...

10 comments:

Tom Smith said...

You've gotta love Muse. Invincible is an absolutely brilliant song. If you're after something different, the Hullabaloo B-sides CD is fantastic.

Muse have got to be the best live band I've ever seen, and probably will ever see.

Good choice.

Chris Towell said...

Stereophonics were good live too! Then again I'm obviously biased too.

Interesting first two choices from Muse. Thought we'd be seeing "Knights of Cydonia" how much more random can you get with that track. "Showbiz" is a good song though if its the one I'm thinking off or it might be "Sunburn" not entirely sure.

Invincible? I wasn't really a fan of that song until recently but now it has really grown on me.

And finally the Ataris obviously you know which song of theirs I know. For all of you unaware they had a song on the Spider-Man 2 OST called "The Night the Lights Went Out in NYC". Which is a good song so I'm looking forward to listening to it too.

Craig Allington said...

Cheers Tom. I did toy with the idea of putting a song from Hullabaloo on the CD but I decided that the contrast was greater with their first album and last.

That's one reason I didn't put Knights of Cydonia on too Chris as it sounded too heavy, much like Showbiz.

But I have to agree, Muse are the best band I've ever seen live.

Chris Towell said...

Too heavy? Muse? Knights of Cydonia? It's not too heavy at all. It's a brilliant track to be honest even better than Invincible and possibly the best off Black Holes and Revelations album.

Although Assassin which is heavy track is probably the second best track or joint with Map of the Problematique.

Craig Allington said...

By heavy I meant quite guitar based, which most of Knights of Cydonia is. Invincible is more piano/keyboard based.

If theres room I'll put Knights of Cydonia on my CD for you though Chris don't worry.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I would not call myself a muse fan, but there is no doubt that they can muster up a tremendous amount of energy when performing live.

I saw them at the Isle of Wight festival earlier this year, and this was the main feeling I got from their performance.

Although I was slightly sceptical at the use of a strange hybrid instrument one of the band was playing. It was a mix of a guitar and what looked like a kaos pad, weird!

As for Chris mentioning Spiderman where did that come from?

Chris Towell said...

@Scott - The Ataris did a song for the Spider-Man 2: OST. Thats why it was mentioned.

Craig Burgess said...

Will there be some more varied tracks dotted about on your final CD Craig?

I've had a problem with varying some of the stuff I've put on there, as a lot of my music collection is Metal / Rock based, but for this iTunes has been a blessing!

I also found an old 80s CD that somehow managed to weedle it's way into my CD collection, so there is some tracks from there on it too.

I'm really looking forward to all this music. I find music a great source of inspiration when coming up with ideas.

Craig Allington said...

I have a fairly varied CD yes. My first thought was to put 3 Muse tracks on and keep everyone in the dark about the rest of my CD but I gave up with that idea.

I have some indie pop, some blues, some heavy metal... so fairly different. Admittedly I have struggled to make it varied as most of my CD collection is samey but I've done my best.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I would like to congratulate you on your use of links to itunes so everyone could hear your choices.

I hadn't heard of The Ataris, but I must say I was a bit disappointed to hear that their sound is nothing to do with the Atari console.

I was expecting a few 8 bit bleeps!