Friday, March 02, 2007

Keeping My Options Open...

For anyone who watched Life on Mars (BBC3) last week or for anyone who watches it this coming Tuesday (BBC1), you will understand what I mean when I say it inspired this weeks blog entry. I do apologise for it's length.

Options are something we are all given in life, chances are on a every day basis.

What do I have to drink? What do I get for my dinner? When do I go to bed? Choices are everywhere. One of the most important choices we have made so far is 'Do I attend university and if so which course do I attend'.

But choices have outcomes. After all, it is because of the above choice that I am writing this blog. But how do we decide on a choice? Think long and hard about it? Gut reactions? Listening to other people?

With the end of the first year of the course in sight, it's time to start thinking ahead. Not only ahead to the second year, but also alot further than that. It's time to start thinking about our careers.

With Jonny Haynes visiting us this week, it was time to get a much needed view of another design agency as apposed to the Design Mechnaics. As I mentioned last week, it is much like gathering information from more than one source for research. Jonny gave us a very informative presentation about Technophobia and about the sort of work he does. It was all very impressive and was a mile away from the sort of thing that happened at TDM.

Also this week was presentations, I was quite pleased with my presentation. I missed a few things out thinking I was going to go over time, but was actually under by around 30 seconds (before asking for any questions). An extra slide needs to be added and I think I will all be finished.

These two events this week further sparked my thoughts on my career. More so than others when after practicing our presentations and we were talking about random questions that Steve asked us when he said 'you prepare for questions such as "where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" or...'

It's at that point that it hit me. I am still unsure about my future career plans. Freelance? Design agency? Back to my journalism roots? I then had to ask myself how I would decide. I thought back to why I decided to join this course. Gut instinct. And it has not proved me wrong so far.

For this reason today I took on a whole new career path option, something which I have been contemplating since starting the course but have never really mentioned it to many people. Teaching. I visited my old school and have asked if I can sit in on a few ICT lessons one week to get a feel for it (much like visiting TDM, and Jonny Haynes visit). I'm not closing the door on web design or for that matter journalism, and no matter what I decide upon I will complete the course.

6 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

At the end of the day there's only you that knows what you want to do in two years time. It's never going to be an easy thought because what you decide to do effectively marks the path for the rest of your life, but it's a choice that needs to be made nonetheless.

Good luck in making a choice, no matter what you decide to do. And props to you for deciding to go visit some lessons so quickly.

Dean said...

Gut instinct is the way to go. It's a good thing being able to make a decision from the 'gut' and doing it as opposed to planning it for ages and wasting time.

Incedentally (not wanting to name drop) I went to a BBQ a few months ago, the guy who plays Ray Carling in Life on Mars was there, Dean Andrews. He was filming the current series and said at the time that it was the last one they are doing ever.

Julian Dyer said...

I’ll be waiting for a quote of Dean’s to appear in the “Luvvies” section of Private Eye.

I think you are right to keep your options open, Craig. In many ways teaching and journalism do have a lot of things in common. Being able to explain complex theories or situations to others is a skill which appears in both.

Maybe you could put together some simple PDF tutorial guides on things we do in the future to see if you can hone these skills? This would also improve on your sketchblog/typography/use of InDesign or Pagemaker skills to boot. Just a suggestion.

Craig Allington said...

Dean and his name dropping. I did know it was the last series though cheers Dean, a spin of with Gene Hunt is been created soon though apparently.

As for Julians comment. Thanks for the advice Julian, I might give it a try as looking at the design of my current presentation document, a little bit of extra design couldn't go a miss. Once I get hold of a copy of InDesign it will be a good practice for next year too.

Ben Waller said...

I was very impressed with what Jonny had to say as well, he seemed to be very confident which what he had to say and it was definitely very different to the work done at The Design Mechanics

J.Milsom said...

Interesting and differant entry we have here, I would agree with Dean and say that gut instinct is a great thing, you tend to dwell and change your mind over and over if you take time and plan at decisions. Gut instinct saves time, and coupld possibly more often than not achieve better results. If you feel it, then go for it.

Am I missing out on Life on Mars then? There seems to be alot of talk of it, and I have never watched it.