Thursday, March 22, 2007

Logos With Beat

Logo design was once again the main agenda of the week this week and with a large discussion on Wednesday afternoon messing up every ones time plans it was soon decided that finished ideas would have to be created for next week for formal presentations to the rest of the group.

This may seem like one of the biggest events of the week, however this was the week in which we received our CD's for our listening 'pleasure'. I didn't do a bad job of picking my CD listening to others in the group, my CD is quite electro/techno with most songs having a beat behind them. The main advantage being, it doesn't make me drift of to sleep as some of the more relaxing music may have done.

So far the assignment is coming along relatively well. I already have my four logo ideas, it is just a case of playing about with them, developing them a bit more, etc. in Freehand and then showing them to the group next week. I also have created my site structure for the website, and also designed screen designs for it which I have received much feedback on. A very productive week if I do say so myself.

Next week however, we finish for the holidays and so I still have a lot of work to be done before hand. The more work that I can get done before the holidays means the less I have to do in the holidays themselves. Although I am planning for a week to do a good 32 hours, I would like to use the holidays as just that, a holiday.

Another major factor affecting me this week is the Sketchblog assignment. After last weeks first blog entry primarily dominated by worries over my sketchbook work, I am now glad to say I have started filling it up a lot more. A FULL development process has been undertaken in many areas of the Fax assignment already, as well as researching into vector art, album artwork and corporate ID's. The major thing I am glad of is that, after ringing Atlantic Records one dinner time, I was sent a business card, letterhead and compliments slip. I found these very useful as it showed me further examples of how logos can be used at various sizes and in various places on documents. Hopefully I shall soon have similar items from Warner Records also.

For the next few days my main goal is to concentrate on my logo design. I recently bought a book from the 'Index' series called 'Type Index' of which I should have received today, and if not tomorrow. I am hoping I will be able to use this book to help me with my logo designs, as my knowledge of fonts isn't particularly amazing.

4 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

If I was you I wouldn't be pigeonholing yourself so quickly at this stage and saying "right, I've got the four I want" indefinitely.

If you don't like any of your ideas, just bin it and try and think of some more, that's what I'm going to do.

If you do like them all and you've got four good logos already, well done.

Craig Allington said...

I'm not pigeonholing myself at this stage. I have four designs that I am...relatively happy with, some more than others, but there is still alot of work to do on them all I think.

If worst comes to worst I can present them next week as my finished designs, but if I get the chance to change them I will.

The main factor that will need to be changed is the fonts I think, which is why I am looking forward to looking in the type index book tomorrow.

Ben Waller said...

I think that you are right about putting 32 hours in over the holiday. With the amount of work that we need to get done for this assignment and the fact that there are only several weeks to the deadline when we return from our break I can easily see me doubling that amount, hopefully it will all be worth it though!

Marc Pugh said...

I started with over 100 design ideas, but sometimes its the first few that are the better ones. I had looked at most of my recent ones and had forgot about some of my earlier designs, which were actually better when I came to look at them again.