Thursday, March 29, 2007

1.4 - That's Numberwang!

Never before in almost a year of the course have numbers ever being so prominent. Although the learning outcomes have always been majorly important, this week Steve really pushed them home.

The main reason for this is, as has been said in quite a few of my blog entries as of late, the sketchblog assignment is somewhat lacking, and learning outcomes are being 'ignored'. Although I may have disagreed with some of Steve's views (or should that be punishments) this past week regarding the learning outcomes, I have come to realise just how important they really are.

Where as before I used to look at the learning outcomes for the assignments on a weekly basis, I have now started looking at them on a daily basis, and I think it is beginning to help. I am more aware of what I have to do to gain a pass in the assignments, as well as the higher grades, and am already thinking of different ways to evidence this.

Time planning was another point at the forefront of the work this week. Again linked to the learning outcomes, proposed time plans must now be submitted a week ahead, and changes shown in the following weeks finished time plans. This is not anything I am particularly worried about, as I tried to keep on top of my time plans as much as possible throughout the year as it is..

With learning out comes out of the way, it was time to focus on the assignments work. The week started with a session for us to show off our chosen logo designs, and to get mass feedback from both the group and Steve. Although I had a few major mishaps (forgetting my font wouldn't be accessible on the college computers) my 'presentation' went rather well, and I got a lot of useful feedback on my logo, of which I have now chosen a favourite, and now have just a few minor changes to make to it before it is finished.

With this in mind, it was then time for me to crack on with the rest of my work. With my site structure completed, I polished off my screen designs and started work on my website. My reasons for creating the website at this stage was to get the technical side of things out of the way this week. With Easter fast approaching and a holiday looming, accessing a computer (never mind one with Dreamweaver on) could be quite a difficult task. Therefore sketchbook work seemed a much easier option over the Easter break.

I started making my website using CSS, which didn't go too bad, but decided that tables and cells would be a more efficient use of my time at present. Although I have used some CSS for my navigation bar, the majority of my website will be created using tables and cells.

Over Easter, designing the Co-ID is priority number one, as well as trying to collect images/ideas for the CD booklet/label itself so that I can crack on (no Easter egg pun intended) with it as soon as we return back from the Easter break.

To finish off the week, the good news that I have passed both the Builder assignment and Revert To Type assignment was greatly received, and although I was hoping for at least one merit this time, it has not knocked my confidence. It just means I shall have to try harder next time.

Have a good Easter everyone. And for anyone who wants to see my 'Ambient World' website in it's current state, it can be found at: www.craig-allington.co.uk/fax

4 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Are you going to write your style guide over easter too? I think you need some of the basics of it down before you move onto designing the CO-ID.

Looks nice the website, nice job.

Craig Allington said...

The style guide is almost written. I have decided on my fonts, my logo is almost made, and my colour scheme is chosen. I've jotted it all down in my sketch book, I just need to write it all out properly in readable sentences now.

Thanks for the comment about the site. It's still a long way from finished yet though.

J.Milsom said...

Wow, you really are cracking on with the assignment, you seem to be a step ahead of everyone. Talk about dedication. I guess you'll have alot of "tinker" time towards the end of this assignment

Ben Waller said...

I think you are right about the learning outcomes and trying to think of different ways to evidence them, its all good and well meeting the different criteria but if you don't have the evidence to back things up then you will not achieve the higher grades.