Thursday, April 26, 2007

One small step to failure, One giant leap to fix it.

The first week back from the holidays and once again back into the reality of the ever approaching deadline.

Steve wanted to pre-assess sketchbooks this week, and with the knowledge I was already failing my sketchbook assignment, I decided to leave it until almost last to go see him about it. I have actually got more evidence for the assignment than I first thought, and perhaps I'm not failing as badly as I first thought, but the reality is I am failing it at present and I do still have a lot of work to do to fix it.

The main lesson of which I learnt from this is that I must take screenshots to evidence my work. This is a point of which I keep forgetting to do and will need to keep reminding myself of more in the future.

My other main tasks for the week has been mainly trying to come up with ideas for my CD cover artwork. The title of my CD is Hearts of Space and so the obvious heart theme comes into a lot of my ideas. I also took the approach of a sort of plasma electric ball to start with as I thought this reflected the techno/electro music on the CD.

However, I was thwarted when I applied the gamut warning mask to my design as it shaded nearly almost my whole design into grey.

Back to the drawing board.

Another idea I had created was to take a character card from a deck of playing cards (such as the king) and apply my own abstract twist to it. This was once again a play on the hearts theme which I can't seem to get away from.

Firstly I came up with the idea of an astronaut card facing up surrounded by other cards. These was shunned in our feedback groups as the background was too busy. Instead I kept the astronaut idea and changed it around a little. I came up with 3 versions of pretty much the same design of which can be seen below. Any feedback on the designs would be welcomed.





The first images font is not the font I would be using (unless there is massive appraisal of it) it was just to show the image in relation to the text.

Now my CD cover ideas are almost completed, I feel like I can concentrate further on my sketchbook assignment, and try and improve it so that I do not have to retake the whole unit again next year. I think this is one of my biggest fears of the moment and am now regretting my decision to sort of ease off on the sketchbook assignment to concentrate on other projects.

Another large topic which was discussed today was about next years team assignment and the various roles within the groups. Steve said that in most cases the project manager of the group is forced into the role as no one wishes to do it. This was then followed by a brief description of the roles of the PM. As this was been said I looked around the room and saw quite a few faces of worry, obviously hoping that they wouldn't be chosen as project manager.

Personally for me, if I was in a group and was nominated as PM I would agree to doing it. Not because I would be being forced into it, but from my previous course and experiences of team projects on that, I found myself quite enjoying taking on the role of being PM.

That is quite a while away now though, and my immediate plans over the weekend is to bump up my sketchbook work with examples of inspirational art work and idea generating techniques for further designs of CD artwork (as the inside and back of the CD still need to be designed for). I have also found myself behind in my time planning for this week already too, and may put in a few extra hours this week to get further ahead both in the project and to catch up with what I have failed to do so far.

After all, the deadline is slowly approaching all the time.

3 comments:

Dean said...

It's a novel idea the card. The 3rd one has depth and a 2001 space odyssey feel to it. Does this also represent the music though? Not being an avid listener of Pete Namlook, I wouldn't know. It's just that part of the assignment initially was to interpret the music into a cover.

It certainly does capture the era but if the title of your album was 'blankety blank by thingy' what cover would you have come up with just by listening to the music alone?

After listening to my CD, I found it painting a picture in my head and it was always a solitary beach with noone there. It is a coincidence that my title is Orphan Waves but it seems to gel it all together.

Craig Allington said...

The music is techno/electro/trance. I did design a few ideas incorporating those themes, but with the music not being as mainstream as most music of it's genre, I decided to go against the grain and go for something completely different too.

Ben Waller said...

I think that you have really got a good design idea for your CD cover too. I would certainly be happy if I can come up with something to that standard for my CD!

Its a shame that you feel that your sketchbook isn't up to scratch, you probably know enough and have done enough to pass the assignment but the key thing is being able to evidence evrything.