Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Portfolio - Designs V2

My second screen design for my portfolio is now uploaded*.

I have tried to incorporate the feedback I was given and remove the large black border and text. I have incorporated a smaller grey border around my design (as was suggested by Scott) however I am still not sure about it. I am also not sure about my navigation it seems a little lost and out of place.

I have yet to have chance to experiment with some more colour/logo ideas, though I will hopefully be posting a mid-week blog with these ideas included.

My initial design for my portfolio is also available for comparison.

*Note: The 'Crigglestone Nursery' image is only temporary and will be changed on my final design to one more suitable.

3 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Looks better than your original design but I'm still not convinced a wide design will work. Would the width be percentage based or fixed?

The images are good, and a lot more colourful and interesting enticing the user to click them, and I like the idea of putting a little bit of explanatory text underneath the image.

I agree with your comments about the navigation, it currently looks very lost. To solve that problem you could try and put a border top and border bottom on your navigation so it elevates it off of the page more, or move it closer to the top of the page so the spacing isn't equal between the header and content.

I still don't think the black and white colour scheme works too well, and I still think you could come up with a logo. Maybe instead of the black bar at the top try putting a cut out of an image up there?

Richard said...

I think the image really make the website. The widescreen layout you have chosen really fits the monitor I am viewing the design on and it looks very clean and simple.

How would the about me page look in this style. I assume that this page would contain a lot of text compared to the others with images. The widescreen 4colum layout might throw up a number of difficulties for this page.

Other than that I think the website has high contrast and is well structured.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I am glad you took some design advice from me, I did in fact suggest that you used grey instead of black! I don't think I mentioned anything about the border.

Anyway, maybe you should change all the black to a darker grey than you have used on V2.

I think that you could also incorporate another colour somewhere, maybe a visual device
to separate subjects areas?

You could solve your navigation issues by aligning everything to the left and making the subject titles bigger.