Thursday, May 10, 2007

The End Is In Sight...

This week has focused mainly on copyright, and with KFC suing a local restaurant over the use of it's trademark of 'family feast' in the news yesterday, it just proves how seriously the little details should be taken.

This is a lesson I have learnt this week, and something I wish I had learnt a lot sooner. My image that I used for my CD cover was removed from the SXC website due to copyright infringement and so had to spend many hours this week looking for a new image to use on my CD designs. Not only did this completely mess up my time plans, but I was also worried that it would throw me completely out by having to change my designs to incorporate the new image.

Luckily for me however, I found an identical image to the one I already had on Wikipedia and was safe, but that doesn't mean that I will be so lucky next time - if there is a next time.

Looking on various other sites I have found out that the image actually costs to download it (and at some quite hefty prices) which I should have realised that it was suspicious that I could download it for free, but sadly this sort of research I didn't think about, and should do in future.

The image I have is still a free image, but has been given copyright free status by NASA (the originators of the image) so I am quite certain that this time I should have no problems with the image.

Also this week we had yet another talk, this time from Richard Stelmach of Empiredirect.co.uk. This was yet another interesting talk from another designer and was useful that he talked about image rights and copyright of them.

It was also interesting to hear about how the site has been created using CSS to work at all screen sizes, something which I may research into over the summer break once the FAX assignment is out of the way.

In other news, the results of the 'Album VS Artist' debate are in, and it appears that with a land slide that 'artist' has won. This didn't really shock me but what did shock me was that people who don't comment much on blogs and use the excuse 'there's nothing to comment on' missed a valuable opportunity to comment and to boost their sketchblog grades. So thank you to everyone who did comment.

Even though the poll said that artist is generally bigger, I did agree with Scott's comment regarding the difference between this music, and mainstream music. This is a similar point to the one I have been making throughout the assignment with my designs, and trying to make them different to the usual electro/trance records you see every day in the shops. For this reason I have opted to keep my designs the way they are, with the album title more predominant than the artist.

Finally, my Ambient World website is complete. Please feel free to look at it and comment on anything that needs changing (if anything)

No comments: