Thursday, February 15, 2007

Testing, Testing...1...2...1...2...

This week has been a relatively straightforward week (for a change). Wednesday was primarily spent testing each others websites and then fixing the problems, where as Thursday morning was spent doing 'task bombs' whilst Thursday afternoon was time for us to work on our presentations.

The user testing went better than I had imagined, most of my feedback was positive although I was quite worried that the aesthetics of my website received quite low marks. Luckily however, I had received feedback on why it didn't look as good as it could and I was able to rectify my website using this feedback.

I also used CSS for the first time this week, and to start with it was quite daunting. Perhaps if I had asked someone within the group who has prior knowledge of CSS for some help it may not have seemed so scary, but that would of been sensible.

CSS isn't as hard as I first imagined, I picked it up quite easily and manged to make my website better in the process of it. Although it is only a simple bit of CSS I have used, I am sure in later projects it will prove extremely valuable.

Thursday was a completely different day to Wednesday. I woke up feeling extremely sick, and tired (as I have much of the week), and was contemplating not coming into college. The knowledge that we would be likely receiving new tasks to do today though spurred me to come into college and battle through my ill feelings.

As I suspected we did receive tasks today. Not one, but two. The first task was to design a structure for a jazz newsletter and then in the second task to add the content. I was not best pleased with my final results of either project, although I was extremely close to the deadline on both occasions, and feeling ill wasn't helping my mindset too much to allow me to be more 'creative'. However, saying this, I don't think that they were my worst projects of the mini tasks so far.

Next week is half term, and that means that I can get some rest, relax, clear my head and catch up with some work that I have fallen behind on from being unwell most of the week. My presentation is still in it's very early stages and my handout sheet so far is non existent. Although I am slightly worried about being behind on my presentation, I know that over the next week I will be able to catch up and therefore worrying will only make it worse.

I have learnt a lot from user testing this week, and the next time user testing comes about I will know a lot better questions to ask and be able to receive even better results and feedback. My next goal once my presentation is out of the way (in between practicing) is to go through my collected data once more, and check that I have done everything that people have suggested (of which I believe is the correct thing to do).

Have a good week off everyone.

3 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Is there anything that surprised you in your feedback Craig?

Scott Dunwoodie said...

I am yet to properly start my presentation slides/handout too. I have been collating research and have been working out ideas of a treatment that will best represent my Typographers work.

Craig Allington said...

If I'm being honest, the lack of response surprised me. Although I feel this could of been down to my feedback form, I was quite shocked that people could rate things at a low level, yet not give any reasons as to why.

I admit a few people did so, and thank you to everyone who did. I shall take this into consideration for next time and improve my feedback form.