Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Portfolio Website Goals

1. To create a portfolio website using XHTML 1.0 Strict and CSS level 2.1.

This is quite an obvious goal but a very important one. By using XHTML 1.0 strict it means that it will force the website to be more accessible to a greater number of people (as apposed to XHTML 1.0 transitional or even variations of HTML 4.01)

As for choosing CSS level 2.1 I chose this as it is the most widely used level of CSS. Although some facilities of level 3 are available the usage in most browsers is limited (especially in Internet Explorer) and so once again would limit who could access my site.

2. To use new skills I have learnt througout the course in the creation of my website both technical (I.e. XHTML, CSS and PHP) and creative (I.e. Creation of images using Photoshop).

The portfolio site is there to demonstrate my skills I have learnt on the course and so using the skills in the portfolio site it's self seems a sensible option. Although I have already mentioned I would use XHTML and CSS, PHP is a very new skill to me but also very effective. It would be used for a contact page and also for a login page to access further areas of the site.

3. To comply to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Conformance Level "A": found at http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/.

Once again accessibility is a key factor for me and by conforming to conformance level "A" it once again means that it allows more people to be able to access my site (and hopefully more prospective employers, etc.)

4. To create a website which is suitable for my primary target audience - potential clients.

Making a website suitable for a target audience is obviously a huge factor in creating websites and my portfolio site will be no exception.

The biggest factor will be making this goal measurable. To do this I will create some sort of questionnaire and hopefully attempt to get some prospective employers to look at my site. Of course this may be difficult and so I will try and get a questionnaire which peers can fill in but which is aimed as if they were my target audience.

6 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Shouldn't you clarify what methods you are going to use to find these "design professionals"?

Craig Allington said...

By that I assume you mean my target market Craig.

I know a few people in the industry that work in web design already so I was hoping to perhaps ask them.

Failing that I could also try and look on design forums perhaps and try and find some people from my target market on there also.

Mirhad Kalabic said...

I thought that the goals were supposed to be measurable craig, not sure exactly how the last one is. Even if we anwser the questionaire and say that it is, that doesn't mean it is. You need to find a way of getting your anwser straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Julian Dyer said...

Isn't the second goal a 'given'? The focus of the portfolio is to show all of the skills from the past couple of years - that is how we are able to create it! Also, how would you measure that? Some kind of evaluation, with references to other units? You'd need to come up with some method of doing this - or you will have to replace it with something else.

Ben Waller said...

I agree with Mirhad about your last goal Craig. I think this would be very difficult to measure.

What target audience have you chosen as you have stated "potential clients" in the actual goal but your justification states "prospective employers"

Craig Allington said...

Julian, my idea was to use the techniques specified as my reference point for my goals.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Ben. I think there's quite a few target audiences for my portfolio site and I obviously got them muddled up.

My primary target audience is to be potential employers as I think I would prefer this method of working to freelance.